Monday, January 17, 2011

Jenolan Caves & The Blue Mountains

        A few weeks ago, the family and I took a little road trip to the Jenolan Caves! It was about a 3 hour drive though the Blue Mountains and to get there we drove through the thickest fog I have ever seen in my life! It was so unbelievably and incredibly dense! We were driving down windy roads and you could only see the closest trees. It was very eerie and I loved every minute of it! :)
        There were lots of cave tours to choose from, but we chose to take the Orient Cave tour which is supposedly the oldest cave in the world! I'm a big fan of caves myself and this one was certainly very beautiful, but I wouldn't place it over other tours I've been to at Mammoth Cave. Still, I'm glad I went and it was fun to be there with the kids! They've been to a cave before, but they were very little and didn't remember much of it so it was basically a new experience for them!
         On the way home we stopped in the Blue Mountains at the overlook spot for The Three Sisters. The Three Sisters are three large and unusual rock formations and are a famous Sydney landmark. Because of the fog, you couldn't see them at all!! We decided to hike a bit to the first one and even when standing right next to it you could only see one of the "sisters" and it was as if after it the world just ended in mist. Maybe someday I'll go back to see them properly, but I'm not at all upset about the way it turned out. I feel like the fog was a once in a life opportunity in itself and only added to the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment